Long term hacker (in the original sense), former hanger-on at the MIT AI Lab. Writer of editors. Compiler of languages. Now professionally a problem solver -- for the last 18 years with a fab-less semiconductor company making systems-on-chip with lots of tasty imaging interfaces, image processing hardware, industry standard real-world connections, all covered by high-protein firmware.
On the side, I've a continued interest in mechatronic systems, machining, welding, CAM, and kids. My wife says it is all a busman's holiday.
I used to mentor a FIRST robotics team (#2349). It was great fun to coach highschool students on engineering problems, project planning, prototyping, and especially teamwork. I sing Barbershop with some truly congenial and talented men as a member of Vocal Revolution. I enjoy an occasional Amateur Radio on-air conversation or contest as K1UZK.
I also do custom woodworking, carvings, and 3D printed spiritualia as Carvings by Carl, which can be found on Etsy.
You can reach me about whatever you like at "first name" dot carvingsbycarl dot com.
Oh! I forgot to introduce myself formally. Hi, I'm Carl.
Member for 2 years, 8 months
0 profile views
Last seen Jan 29 at 11:23
- 3D Printing 3.8k 3.8k 55 silver badges3131 bronze badges
- Worldbuilding 2k 2k 55 silver badges1212 bronze badges
- Meta Stack Exchange 1.3k 1.3k 11 gold badge77 silver badges66 bronze badges
- Retrocomputing 651 651 33 silver badges1010 bronze badges
- Writing 629 629 22 silver badges1010 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 124 We're testing advertisements across the network
- 41 What kind of world would drive brains to evolve high-throughput sensory?
- 19 Why were chips socketed in early computers?
- 16 How can a person Insulate copper wire in a medieval world?
- 15 Is it unreasonable to change the rules of a quiz/exam one week in advance?
- 13 What should be the ideal length of sentences in a blog post for ease of reading?
- 11 Are external lights on spaceships even necessary?
- View more network posts →