Thom Blair III
NOTE: Due to popular demand, here is an explanation of how I make my animated GIFs:
How I Make My Animated GIFs
I use LICEcap with Max FPS set to 24:
Now, without further ado, on to me!
Thom Blair III
Hi! I'm new to Blender but have been doing computer graphics since I was 13 or so. In fact, I remember when I got the first demo release of Adobe's first graphics program that was to become Photoshop. It came on a 5¼ inch floppy, ie before there even were 3.5 inch floppies, and I just laughed at how basic and lack-luster it was compared to Splash (which was the higher-end graphics software out at the time.) In Splash, they already had begun using brushes with soft edges, which was a HUGE leap forward for graphics software at the time -- no other software I could find had that feature. There also was no such thing as any kind of selection tool other than rectangle, although they might have had ovals. Anyway, I tried Adobe's program and it was so simplistic I thought, "Wow, Adobe -- what kind of name is that?? Sticks and mud! Kinda appropriate for such a rudimentary program." Little did I know what was to come! Now I can't even find any trace of Splash on the internet at all! The wheel of Fate turns and turns...
I also remember when I first started hearing about this new kind of graphics format called "vectors". The makers of the graphic novel "Iron Man: Crash" were some of the first to use vectors in comics, and vector-based software was being developed as they were making the novel.
I had one job for a year overseeing a team of programmers to transition from an outdated PDP mainframe to a Microsoft Access database for a small university's Registrar office. It was very successful there, and so 5 related universities in India wanted it for their registrars, so I took it over there, modified it for them and trained them to use it.
These days, I am just taking my time doing things I enjoy when I can find them and currently, I'm really enjoying adding Blender to my graphics suite -- I'm very impressed with it!
- Blender 14.9k 14.9k 1414 gold badges6868 silver badges103103 bronze badges
- Worldbuilding 6.2k 6.2k 1313 silver badges4444 bronze badges
- English Language & Usage 403 403 44 silver badges1212 bronze badges
- Arqade 401 401 33 silver badges1010 bronze badges
- Role-playing Games 256 256 11 silver badge55 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 128 How can I quickly generate / create a large city without modeling it all by hand?
- 106 How would you cut a shape out of an object using another object?
- 83 How do I put an image texture on a material in Cycles?
- 55 Why does part of my model disappear when I zoom in on it in the 3D Viewport?
- 54 Can anyone give me some tips on Lighting in Cycles?
- 41 How Do You Use An Image As The World Background?
- 40 How to edit Parameters for an Object after it is created?
- View more network posts →