NOTE: This answer is for the "What Questions Can I Ask Here?" section of the help center. All text from this line on is intended for the article.
The Worldbuilding Stack Exchange is a site for developers, designers, writers and artists to get help creating imaginary worlds. This includes geography, culture and creatures for the world. Questions on this site should be about building settings and the reasons around why they are the way they are. A setting might not be a planet; it can be larger than a multiverse or smaller than a village.
For example, questions are welcome that are about:
- Creation of elements of a world (languages, species, buildings, etc.)
- Specific effects of events or world elements on that world's society, cultures, and environment
- Technology and magic
as long as they are not about:
- Specific actions of individual characters, rather than the world they inhabit
- General writing or storytelling (consider the Writers or Role-playing Games Stack Exchanges)
- Specific character building
- Requests for software that doesn't directly relate to worldbuilding (consider the Software Recommendations Stack Exchange)
- General computer software use (consider the Super User Stack Exchange)
Note that questions must be specific as well as answerable. If you are looking for discussion or for an overall process rather than specific question-and-answers, the Worldbuilding Stack Exchange might not be a good place for your question.
If your question involves magical elements, you must provide enough details about the magic system in question so that answers may be given that conform to the particular magic system.
Please do not cross-post questions to multiple Stack Exchange sites. If you want your question migrated to a different site within the Stack Exchange network, use the "flag" action link below the question text to flag it for moderator attention, select custom reason, and request migration to your desired site. A moderator will then look into the request and take appropriate action.