A July 2022 renovation of the reality-check tag and others has changed the context of this question. It is now obsolete. Please see the following question and the link under "Conclusion." If we can't burn the "reality check" tag, can we rename it?
A source of confusion that I've often seen is the exact purpose of the reality-check tag, and its relation to science-based and hard-science.
As I understand it, based on this question and others, is that reality-check is used to specify that you would like to know whether or not a part of the world you have built is 'realistic', which I take to mean scientific/logical/self-consistent/etc.
What I'm wondering, though, is why we need a tag for this.
- You can't really be an expert on reality-checking, as it can be paired with literally any other tag on the site; a reality-check expert is the same thing as a Worldbuilding expert.
- You shouldn't ever want/need to search specifically for reality-check questions. If you are having a problem with a part of your world, you would be much better off searching using other tags more specific to the problems you're having.
- The tag is a meta-tag; you can't or shouldn't use it on its own, you have to use other tags with it. I think it'd be just as descriptive to leave it out altogether
- As I said, its usage is confusing, too often it's assumed to be a soft-science tag, which is not something we want to encourage (all answers should have some level of scientific/logical basis).
- It's one of our most-used tags, which implies it's not specific enough.
- No one needs to be told that a question is reality-check. If anything, we need a tag that specifies when a question is not reality-check, that is, a question that does not want answerers to say whether or not what the OP has already built is consistent. Reality-check questions simply don't have anything else to answer about, all they are is "I have x, does it make sense?".
So, am I correct in thinking that this tag is useless and only adds unnecessary confusion? And, if so, should anything be done about it?
select id as [Post Link], body from posts where tags = '<reality-check>') Regardless of if we decide to burn it or not, these questions should not have it as their only tag. $\endgroup$