The "Life" tag has had a long journey.
- In October 2014, the tag was first discussed in meta. We decided it was too ambiguous to consolidate with biology, because it can be used outside of that tag.
- Later that month, we dissolved the tag into biology and lifestyle, hoping it would not reappear. It was deemed too ambiguous and too easy to be misinterpreted, as not all users read tag wikis, and then it was deleted.
- At the end of the month, we decided not to blacklist the tag, because that's a tedious process. We just hoped it would not resurface.
- In February 2016, the tag came back anyway. We decided it's too ambiguous to either make it a synonym or give it a definition, and sought to blacklist the tag to get rid of the problem.
- In January 2017, the tag resurfaced in meta. It's not clear what happened to the blacklist request from February, but it seems it did not succeed. There was talk of revisiting the tag.
After five meta posts discussing this tag, it remains ambiguous and unclear. It's used by 22 questions, and currently does not have a wiki.
After 858 days of uncertainty, I would like to lay this tag to rest.
- We've already discussed that the tag is too ambiguous to make a synonym
- Making it a unique tag covers too broad of a range
- Deleting the current questions won't work, as more pop up
- It seems resubmitting a blacklist request is the only option, but it's unclear how the first request went or why it didn't work. If anyone has that knowledge, please comment.