'twas but a day ago on the factory floor. A discussion was held about the beauty of languages and thus the brave builders came up with the idea of creating a new language, one to surpass them all, a language to rule them all! A language to find them! A LANGUAGE TO BRING THEM ALL AND IN THE DARKNESS BIND THEM..1
Long story short, the idea is to create a series of fortnightly ( events/tasks here on meta with the goal of creating a language for the WB.SE by the WB.SE community. This series would run over the course of a few months, and hopefully be done somewhen between spring and summer 2017.
Each challenge would be accompanied by a blog post summarizing the results and decisions made, explaining why they have been made and giving examples of the language's current state.
Thus in the end we would have created two things:
- A feature-complete conlanguage that can be shown off and used for secret WB discussions
- A guide on: How to create a conlanguage step-by-step, complete with pictures and examples
The goal of this discussion is to a) find out if there is enough interest in the community to pursue this venerable venture, and b) to collect ideas on how to approach this undertaking
The goals of this discussion are the following:
- Find out if there is enough interest in the community to pursue this most venerable venture
- Collect ideas on how to approach/organise these events (e.g. what to start with; what comes when)
Addendum: My proposal on how this could roughly be pursued/structured:
- Start by agreeing on some 2-3 real-world-languages to inspire grammar, orthography and vocabulary of the conlanguage
- Decide upon a range of some 100 nouns/thing-words needed in the language and create tables with these words in each of the chosen inspiration languages
- Collect ideas on what grammatical constructs should be used in the language (e.g. verbs? adjectives? cases? etc.)
- Have a finished conlanguage
1read with grave bass voice